About Me

My photo
Miami, Florida, United States
Every time I eat whole fish I fear for days that I have swallowed a bone. Perhaps my abdomen is absolutely lousy with them, I would have no idea. Thanks for coming and remember to take off your shoes before coming into the living room, I'm quite fond of the carpet.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Coffee might not be for every morning.

Yesterday, my office's air conditioner did what I have considered doing all too many times in this hellhole and decided to up and quit. Thankfully, our building's sound construction and high-quality insulation kept the office at a temperate 93 degrees. If you're thinking that's not that bad, you're right, provided we're discussing a trip to the beach. If you've never had the misfortune of wearing a three piece suit when the sun has its game-face on, just imagine being a sports team mascot, for eight applause-free hours. So, employing logic (and this story should illustrate why I so rarely do) I decided to show up today in chinos and a polo shirt made from some synthetic material thinner than an eighteen dollar condom.

Thankfully, the maintenance staff took mercy on us and fixed the A/C while we were gone. My boss decided to celebrate in what might very well have seemed like the best option in his age-riddled pile of rot a creative individual might call a brain, he set the thermostat and put on a parka he apparently constantly has in his office. I wonder momentarily if I am dreaming, a cold gust of air to the groin quickly dispels that illusion.
At least I can distract myself by working, I think. I call FPL fifty-two times (yes, I counted) only to receive an equal number of busy signals before being put on hold. For four hours. In Spanish. I feel like there's a drinking game in there somewhere, provided you weigh five-hundred pounds and are Wolverine. I start on other work and realize I have to make out fifteen separate checks to that same horrid company. I would argue that this was irony if I wasn't absolutely sure I had already identified it as bullshit.

I go outside to let off some steam (far from literally, my breath couldn't have been much warmer than freezing). On my way to the bar I find and my fist confronts a particularly obnoxious wall. Fortunately for the wall (and my employment status), it is concrete. Unfortunately for me, my hand is not. Two chugged Martini's later and I realize no amount of ethanol is going to get me warm without being ignited. Luckily for every party involved, my curious hands find no lighter.

I would type more, but I am shivering too much to type with any accuracy and to be honest, I think my efforts will be better spent making a newspaper blanket. Wish me luck, and should I freeze and wake up in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, can y'all at least make sure it's a good one? I'm a picky one as far as those go.

No comments:

Post a Comment